Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Lovely Bones

Aside from the fact that I have a lot of studio work to do tonight, it's been a pretty pleasant evening. Went to see The Lovely Bones, had a yummy dinner out, got cheesecake, and am now watching the Golden Globes.

If you haven't read the book The Lovely Bones, I suggest you do, at least if you plan on seeing the movie. Even if you don't plan on seeing the movie, it's a good book and an easy read. I wasn't sure what to expect from the movie, but overall I think it did a good job following with the book. I know that many critics haven't had the best comments about it, mostly due to Peter Jackson's vivid imagery in the film, and I must say I know where they're coming from.

In the book, the way the "in-between" that Susie is in is described as beautiful and imaginative. While Peter Jackson's interpretation of that place is also beautiful and imaginative, it did strike me as a little over the top, a couple of parts almost screen saver-esque. There was also a bit of a disconnect between the life scenes and the in-between scenes. Sometimes the transition was a little cheesy to be honest, and other times it was just fade to bright white, and other times it worked. The only reason I probably noticed these kinds of things and was bothered by them was because I did read the book. As a movie on its own, it was visually stimulating and engaging to watch.

The cast was good, as I expected. My favorite part: Stanley Tucci as Mr. Harvey. The epitome of creepy neighbor-rapist-murderer. Although in the movie they left out the part that he raped Susie before killing her, probably to keep it at a PG13 rating. Back to Stanley Tucci. He deserves an award for that part. Stanley Tucci, the cute little guy in The Devil Wears Prada, nice guy / loving husband in Julie and Julia, turns amazingly frightening man who has a thing for murdering young girls. Just to see him play that part is enough to see that movie. Mark Wahlberg doesn't hurt either.

I also appreciated the ending. When I read the book, I was thoroughly disappointed in the ending, more specifically how Mr. Harvey met his match. I won't give away what happens in the book or how it happens in the movie, but he was definitely more deserving of the movie version ending. Go see this! Or read the book! Either way it's a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment