Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I was so excited to see this movie in part because the book was great and in part because so many people on Netflix gave it 4 and 5 stars, praising how great of an adaptation it was. Remind me to never again base my expectations on such comments.
Yes, it was a good movie and a decent adaptation. However, this movie bothered me more than I enjoyed it. There were so many pieces that they changed in some way or completely left out, and some of the plot points that were left out were important. I realize that things have to be altered and cut in order to get a long book to fit into a normal movie length – this movie was still 2 ½ hours even with the plot changes. They also added a few things though, which didn’t seem necessary to me when you consider what they cut out. Maybe what they added has more to do with foreshadowing the next movie? I couldn’t say because I haven’t read the next book yet.

The actors did a good job – but again some of their parts were drastically cut down. I’m curious to see how the American version of the movie will turn out, where Daniel Craig is said to be the lead character, Mikael Blomkvist. I’m not sure why the Swedish version isn’t good enough and we have to go and make our own… Who am I kidding; of course I know why. Our country loves to make money and capitalize on other people’s accomplishments.

Anyways, overall it’s an okay movie. Not amazing and not horrible. But as usual, the book is far better.

No comments:

Post a Comment